Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day Ride

This weekend I installed the new hand-me-down SRAM Red Carbon crank from Donna's 2009 Fuji D6 Pro bike that was too long for her. I got her a new one just like it. Also a new SRAM Red ceramic bearing bottom bracket and Ultegra 6700 Grey front derailleur. It came out really nice! It's funny that the MSRP of these three parts is probably close to what I originally paid for the bike in 2003... LOL

The crank is a double 172.5mm, which replaced my old triple 175mm. It seems a lot of people are shortening their cranks to get more power... which I don't quite get logically. A longer lever can apply more torque. But I figured I couldn't let this sweet crank go unused so I might as well give it a shot! I have been wanting to ditch the triple for a double anyway... not much in the way of hills here in this part of Texas, and it is just more weight for the triple. Since I am using the bar end shifters, they work for either as the left shifter is friction only.

Here's what it looks like all finished.

The crank does spin VERY smoothly! I noticed that immediately on the stand once I had it installed. The Shimano Ultegra bearings seem to spin about one revolution when I spin them. The Chris King on Donna's old bike spins only about 1/2 turn. This thing will go about two turns! I could notice how smooth and easy it spins even riding it.

I got to test the new setup on a ride with BAM! on Monday morning. We got one of the BAM teenagers to come babysit Cassie, so Donna and I both could ride. The plan was to ride out to Twin Lakes Scuba Park ~21 miles from home, swim, and ride back. I skipped the swim part, as I have not been swimming in a long time. I was continually bringing up the rear on the ride, but it was a great training ride for me. Donna and her coach Chris stayed back to keep an eye on me, everyone else disappeared. Ah well, that is the longest ride I have done in several years, and I still managed almost 17 mph average. Not complaining! It reminds me why I usually ride alone though. :)


Here's the workout data from Garmin Connect.

Darren



No comments:

Post a Comment