Sunday, September 23, 2012

Balance

Just a quick post on something I have found useful. For the last few years I have practiced balancing on one leg to do things such as get dressed and put on shoes and socks. I don't always do it for shoes, but enough that I can still get by. I should work on that more. I found that if you make it part of your daily routine, after a while you don't need to hold onto things to do it. I see several benefits in this:
  • It build the stabilizer muscles in the legs, and the neural pathways to control them. This at least theoretically could help you to not fall in a tripping situation, etc.
  • It allows you to get dressed at the gym without touching the benches, at least until you have your pants on. :)
  • In a triathlon, you can transition without sitting down. Yankz on your run shows make this super easy.
To do it, just practice crossing the lifted leg across the knee of the other leg. Then you can bend and reach it. You'll probably need something to hold onto to start with, but not after a while.

It's part of hacking me by integrating something useful into your daily life. :)

Darren

No comments:

Post a Comment